33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
36 Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
38 Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.
39 Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good.
40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
1. Find all the things the Bible will do for you
2. Find the things you are suppose to do with your Bible
3. Find the things the Bible is likened to
Today’s text reveals the heart of our Psalmist. For eight verses, he petitions the Lord God:
- He asks to be “taught” – who can teach better than the Author of our faith? (Hebrews 12:2)
- He asks to be “given understanding” – who better to open our eyes than God Himself? (Jeremiah 33:3)
- He asks to be made to “go” – who better to lead us than the Shepherd? (Psalm 23:1-3)
- He asks to be “inclined” – who better to bend our hearts to righteousness than the Holy Spirit who quickens the heart? (Psalm 51:10)
- He asks to be “turned away” from vanity – who better to guide us and help us to turn away from the world but the Father? (1 John 2:15-16)
- He asks to be “stablished” – who better to stablish us than the One who has been since the beginning and whose words and promises are established forever? (2 Samuel 7:25-29)
- He asks to be “turned away from his reproach” – who better to keep us from reproach than the One who can keep us from falling? (Jude 1:24)
- He asks to be “quickened” – who better than the Holy Spirit of God who does a work in our hearts as we read His word? (Romans 8:11)
Do we love God’s word with the same intensity as the Psalmist? Do we read it with the same hopes and desires as he had? Today’s text is a wonderful prayer to start the day with as I read my Bible and waiting to hear from God! What earthly father would not desire to give his child anything after his child petitions him in this manner? How much more our Heavenly Father?