~John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
If we want to learn about love, all we have to do is to turn to the Word which gives us the perfect example of love, Jesus Christ, our Saviour! How can we love as Christ loves?
~1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up.
If every believer lived by this verse, can you imagine the impact Christianity would have on the world today? Paul gave us five attributes of love.
- Love is long suffering – patient: How many times have we snapped at someone we love? How many times have we been quick to judge? When we are patient and long suffering, these reactions disappear.
- Love is kind: Kindness doesn’t turn its back on those in need.
- Love doesn’t envy: Envy only breeds contempt. Therefore, if we begin to envy someone, we will eventually look at them with contempt.
- Love doesn’t vaunt itself: Love doesn’t boast or display itself before all. Love sits in the background and lets others take the credit.
- Love is not puffed up: Love doesn’t get all puffed up with pride but rather is humble.
Christ taught His disciples how to love by example. Then He performed the ultimate example and gave His life.
~John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.