~Joshua 22:5 But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Our successful personal spiritual walk can be summarized in this verse. If we heed these points, we will walk closely to our Lord and won’t stray.
Joshua laid it out in six points:
- Be diligent in obeying God – when the Holy Spirit convicts our heart, we should be quick to heed.
- Love the Lord your God – love everything that He loves.
- We should walk in all His ways – our daily walk should be going in the same direction as His Word.
- Noah Webster defines “keep” in this verse as “guard.” Therefore, we should guard His Word, study it and defend it.
- Be so close to God that you are cleaving to Him – sticking close to God, which will result in following His will.
- Serving God with all our heart and soul – this was so important that it was repeated again in the New Testament in ~Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The believer who strives to do this can’t go wrong.
The child of God, the born-again believer, will be able to follow Joshua’s exhortation. To the Christian, this is his desire. Granted, the Christian will fail but will desire to get back on track. To the unbeliever, however, he will find it impossible and absurd. Oh that each Christian reading this would rededicate his life and walk in the counsel of this verse!
We are not what we ought to be, we are not what we want to be, we are not what we shall be. But we are something very different from what we used to be.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon